Music on Hold (MoH)
Music on hold (MOH) is the business practice of playing recorded music to fill the silence that would be heard by telephone callers who have been placed on hold. It is especially common in situations involving customer service. Music on hold is sometimes referred to as phone on hold, message on hold, on hold messaging, etc.
Most MOH systems are integrated into a telephone system designed for businesses via an audio jack. There are also some units with "analog" capability that allow music on hold for small and home based companies without a phone system.
- Let callers know they’re still on hold and haven’t been disconnected accidentally.
- Make a positive impression on callers.
- Shorten your callers’ perceived hold times.
- Improve your callers’ moods during service calls, or make them more receptive to impulse buys and upselling.
The source of the music is usually from CDs or digital files such as MP3. Newer technology allows MP3 files to be downloaded automatically from the internet so that messages (or interesting content in the form of news and weather, amongst many) can be changed daily.
Source of music
- Off-the-shelf commercial CDs
- Stock MOH CDs
- Custom-designed MOH
- Online On Hold